About the Job
Are you a High Performance Computing (HPC) Engineer that would like to help advance new treatments for cancer and infectious disease? The Genentech Research and Early Development IT organization seeks a talented and motivated HPC Engineer to lead our efforts building next-generation platforms for scientific applications and workflows on our on-premises and public cloud based HPC platforms.
The job will utilize and build on your prior experience building, installing, testing, and supporting scientific computing software in HPC environments. The work will require technical leadership across globally distributed teams, advocacy for best engineering practices, and some hands-on software development.
As part of our HPC team specializing in applications and workflow, you will guide our approaches to delivering and supporting:
- Common open source and commercial scientific software codes used in HPC
- High-level programming languages used in science, including Python and R
- Self-service software environment management tools, including conda and pip/venv
- Workflow managers, such as Nextflow and Snakemake
At times, the work will require that you:
- Work directly with and support HPC users
- Collaborate with internationally distributed teams
- Apply and advocate for engineering best practices
- Communicate effectively in both written and verbal form to non-technical audiences
What is required
- 4+ years of related experience supporting scientific computing and/or high performance computing (HPC) platforms
- 4+ years of education (or equivalent experience) with computer science, information systems, engineering, or life/physical sciences preferred
- Experience compiling, delivering, and supporting software codes on an HPC cluster
- Solid engineering and coding skills, and ability to write quality code/scripts. Prior experience with Python and Bash is a must
- Solid understanding of Linux operating system fundamentals
- Basic understanding of HPC schedulers, job optimization, and best practices
- Experience in working with source control management systems such as Git
Other helpful qualifications
- Experience with software packaging tools such as EasyBuild, Spack, and Homebrew
- Experience with DevOps software engineering practices, including continuous integration and testing frameworks
- Experience with software distribution solutions such as the CernVM File System
- Experience with public cloud platforms and managed services
- Experience as a product owner or technical lead at the team or project level
- Prior experience in the Pharma/Biotech industry
For Colorado-based applicants, the expected salary range for this position is $148,000.00 - $191,600.00. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, and other job-related factors permitted by law. A discretionary annual bonus may be available based on individual and Company performance. This position also qualifies for the benefits listed below.
Roche offers highly competitive benefit plans and programs, including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) and 401(k) matching
- Paid time off
- Roche Long Term Incentive Plan (available at certain position levels)
Who we are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Unless entitled to a reasonable accommodation under applicable law, employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with customer requirements, the company’s health and safety obligations and/or applicable law or guidelines.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers Homepage.
Jun 30, 2022