Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the United States Department of Energy’s largest science and energy laboratory tasked to provide the United States government agencies and departments with technology and expertise to support national and homeland security needs. Our diverse capabilities span scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace. We invite applications for the position of Software Engineer within the Workflow Systems Group in the Data in the Artificial Intelligence Section in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division. Our group works closely with application scientists, applied mathematicians, and computer scientists. Our collaborative work concerns all stages of the scientific life cycle and utilizes computing platforms ranging from the desktop to next generation supercomputers. Our group works closely with application scientist (e.g. fusion, accelerator, seismology, nuclear), applied mathematicians, and computer scientists. Our group focuses on research and software artifacts in highly cited journals and conferences, helping to enable bleeding edge science at scale. Our emphasis is on team work, and it is important for the applicant to show a strong desire to work within a team, as well as promote her/his research.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Make direct contributions working closely with project teams to create, evaluate, and publish novel research ideas.
- Mentor students and postdocs.
- Publish papers in high-quality refereed conferences and journals.
- Collaborate with industry, academia, government labs.
- Participate in proposal development for potential external and internal funding.
- Ph.D. in computer science, computational science or a discipline related to the job duties.
- Experience in parallel computing
- Experience with storage systems
- Strong programming skills in C/C++ and/or Python
- Previous research experience in ONE or more of the following areas is also required:
- Data Science
- Using machine Learning to solve complex problems
- Data Compression
- Performance Modeling and/or Tuning of HPC codes
- Computer Systems
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills, and strong personal motivation
- The ability to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary team
- The ability to take initiative on research insights to bring them to fruition through publication or demonstration on mission applications
Jun 30, 2022
Oak Ridge, TN, USA