Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Computer Scientist researcher to engage in design and deployment of large scale, dynamic workflows and infrastructures to solve important data and science problems stemming from the Laboratory’s mission spaces. You will work as part of collaborative, multidisciplinary teams to develop cutting edge workflow management, data management, and hybrid High Performance Computing (HPC) and Machine Learning software systems. These infrastructures are destined to run on the largest HPC systems in the world, so expertise and interest in scalability, performance, and reliability are paramount This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
- Research, design, implement, and apply advanced workflow technologies in a collaborative scientific environment, including large scale workload management, workflow orchestration, data movement architectures, and hybrid HPC + ML capabilities.
- Actively participate with project scientists and engineers in defining, planning, and formulating experimental, modeling, and simulation efforts for complex problems stemming from national security applications.
- Propose and implement advanced analysis methodologies, collect and analyze data, and document results in technical reports and peer-reviewed publications.
- Contribute to grant proposals and collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment, including academic and industrial partners, to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience developing, implementing, and applying advanced workflow systems to computational science and data science problems.
- Experience using and developing on HPC and/or cloud compute capabilities.
- Experience with programming in at least one high level language such as Python/R/Julia.
- Ability to conduct research, as documented by publications, reports, and presentations.
- Significant analytical problem-solving and decision-making skills needed to craft creative solutions and independently solve complex problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multidisciplinary team environment, present and explain technical information to technical as well non-technical audiences, document work and write research papers.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience developing, implementing, and applying advanced workflow systems to computational science and data science problems.
- Project leadership experience and ability to work independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
May 31, 2022
Livermore, CA, USA