About the job
The Institute of Computer Science at the University of Innsbruck, Austria seeks for excellent PhD students to carry out research in Cloud, Edge and IoT computing.
You are enthusiastic about developing and investigating innovative research ideas and systems within the discipline of distributed systems? You have a master’s or equivalent degree in computer science with excellent performance? You are a highly skilled Java programmer? You have good knowledge in programming with scripting languages? You have a strong background in distributed systems, Cloud computing and virtualization techniques? You stand out from your peers because of strong commitment and independent work? You are a team player and communicative (excellent oral and written English skills, good ability to write scientific publications)?
- Java (expert programmer)
- git and GitHub
- experience with cloud providers, e.g. AWS
- Eclipse VertX
- google guice
- scripting language (e.g. python or node/typescript)
- Serverless (FaaS) platform
- edge and IoT computing infrastructures
- Experience with ML/RL/DL
- event-driven systems
Successful candidates will join a dynamic, international and world-wide highly regarded research team. As fully funded PhD students they will investigate novel Cloud, Edge and Fog techniques that are built based on Java and modern virtualization methods. The particular research topics of interest include
- robust, secure and service agnostic resource management,
- data and work distribution,
- serverless architectures for distributed applications
- AI-enabled cloud-edge framework and cognitive services
- dynamic allocation of cloud services,
- automatic discovery and composition of services,
- orchestration and usage of services,
- scheduling and optimization,
- resilient and secure runtime environments,
- application development environments, and
- programming for Cloud, Fog and Edge infrastructures.
The research of these PhD positions will be conducted as part of the APOLLO (application orchestration and runtime framework for leveraging the edge-cloud continuum). Our PhD students are given the opportunity to work with some of the most advanced Cloud, Fog and Edge infrastructures in Europe and gain interdisciplinary expertise by participating in national and international (EU funded H2020) projects. Note that the working and study language as well as the entire PhD course and research program are held in English only. There is no need to learn German for these positions.
The University of Innsbruck (UIBK)
Founded in 1669 with several Nobel Prize winners, today the University of Innsbruck is the largest educational institution in Western Austria ranked as an international top-200 University in Computer Science. UIBK has a long history in distributed systems, and has been involved in a substantial number of national and international distributed systems projects. We are developing the Apollo application development and computing environment (https://apollowf.github.io). We have coordinated several EU projects on distributed and parallel systems including the edutain@grid, AllScale and the ENTICE project. We are currently investigating the cloud/fog/edge continuum which is changing from a pure elastic provisioning of virtual resources to a transparent and adaptive hosting environment that fully realizes the “everything as a service” provisioning concept, from centralized cloud to the edge and from network and computing infrastructure up to the application layer.
Innsbruck and its Environment
The City of Innsbruck, which hosted the Olympic winter games twice, is located in the beautiful surroundings of the Tyrolean Alps. The combination of the Alpine environment and the urban life in this historically grown town provides a high quality of living.
Candidates should submit their application as soon as possible.
- Motivation letter (Why does your expertise and vision fit the profile of the open PhD position?)
- Full CV including at least 2 references
- Copy of BSc and MSc degrees
- Transcripts for all study programs
- If available provide TOEFL and GRE test results
All documents must be submitted in English. The documents must be merged into a single zip file and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Full-time PhD Position in Cloud computing). For additional files such as theses and publications please add a link to a cloud repository and make it accessible. The candidate will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application.
Application Process and Interview
- Interviews will take place in stages as soon as possible, perhaps via Skype.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate.
- We reserve the right to hold applications on file for potential future job openings.
Please direct questions to:
Prof. Dr. Thomas Fahringer
Institute of Computer Science, University of Innsbruck
Technikerstr. 21a, A-6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Aug 31, 2022